Monday, January 16, 2006

How Do I Get Myself Into These Situations?

I know I've been MIA lately. There has just been a lot going on, and I haven't been able to gather my thoughts enough to come up with a post to sum it all up. That was until this weekend.

So, I joined Myspace a while ago so I could read my sister's blog. I haven't really touched the thing until recently. Since I don't have much work to do at my job, I have spent a lot of time talking to old friends and just a lot of random people. Well, about 2 weeks ago, I met a guy names Brian on Myspace. (So a little short background on Brian: he's 28 years old, divorced with one kid, about 150 lbs and 5'6", and a former marine from California who was in Iraq at the beginning of the war. He got injured and got out of the Marines back in 2003 after serving 8 years). We get to talking, and we have a lot in common. I mean like he is my alter ego, that's how much we have in common. So, about a week ago, he gave me his phone number, and I gave him mine. I figured what could it hurt, right? So he calls me, and we get to talking and find out that we have almost everything in common, even our birthday is the same. So, Wednesday he asked me if I wanted to go out on a date with him this Saturday. I said sure. He asked me what I wanted to do. I didn't really care, so we decided to go out to dinner. The catch is that I had to pick out a restaurant. I don't mind, but I like a guy who can take charge (more on this later). I was supposed to go out to the bar with some friends that I hadn't talked to in a while, and he had told me that he was going to go to the bar with some of his marine buddies. So, to coordinate the time for the date, I asked him if he was still going out with of his friends, and he said no, that he had cleared his schedule (this should have been my first signal to run away). I'm very into, ya know, you need to keep time to spend with your friends. Don't cancel your previous plans with them, to go out with me. I just think that is rude.

Anyway, so Saturday comes along, and I spent most of the morning sitting on the couch catching up on all of my shows that I miss during the week. Brian and I had made plans to go to dinner at 6:00. I laid on the couch until about 4:30 and got up to take a shower. At about 5:15 I get a text message from him that he is on his way. Before this, I thought I would have at least a half and hour to get ready, not it turns into 20 minutes. Now, I run at least 15 minutes behind and he only lives about 20 minutes away, and at the time of the message, I had only finished drying my hair. I had no makeup on, I wasn't dressed, I hadn't styled my hair, I hadn't brushed my teeth, and I had to feed my dogs and take them out; all in the next 20 to 30 minutes. I was so annoyed at the prospect of having to rush. Luckily, I had a few glasses of wine while getting ready, so I wasn't as stressed as I would have been completely sober.

So, I had just a few things to do before we left (take my dogs out and switch purses). We go out to dinner, and the conversation goes well. We talk about his life in the military and driving tanks. And just basically out ourselves, and we find out that we have even more in common. The one thing that bothered me, is that during dinner, he keeps answering his cell phone, which I personally think is very rude. Also, at this point, I am feeling no "Chemistry" or "Romantic Connection". So, after dinner, since it was only 7:30 and we were supposed to go out with my friends at 10:30 (yes I invited him to go, I don't know why), we went back to my house to watch a movie before we went out. We sat on the couch, and he kept moving closer and closer touching my leg and holding my hand. I guess I was trying to give him a chance. So, it gets to be 10:00 and the movie is over, and I just wasn't feeling him at all, and I could tell that he wanted to kiss me, but I didn't want to kiss him. I made up the excuse that I was really tired and just wanted to go to bed (it was partly the truth, I was really tired). So we stand up and he puts his coat on, and we hug. Then, he tries to kiss me. I tried to give him the cheek, but it doesn't work. Plus on top of not feeling anything as I am kissing him except wishing he would leave, he is a really bad kisser. I could not get him out of there fast enough. He tried to kiss me again at the door, and I try once again to give him the cheek, but to no avail. At this point I know that there is no way I can date him. Not to sound cliche, but I could really see myself being his friend, just based on the fact that we have so much in common, and I can talk to him so easily.

I spent a lot of yesterday trying to figure out how I feel about this guy, and I have come to the conclusion that Brian just isn't my type. First and foremost, he is not a good dresser. He wore a horrible mock turtleneck ribbed sweater, and he folded the neck over....on a "mock" turtleneck. Who does that? Second of all, he is too short for me. I am 5'4" and often wear 3-4" heels. With him being on;y 5'6", I would tower over him in my shoes. I need someone at least 3-4" taller than me in my heels. Third, and this is the major deal breaker, he had bad teeth. I absolutely cannot handle dating a man with bad teeth......I just can't. He called me several times yesterday, and sent several text messages, most of which I didn't answer. Finally, I sent him a text message (I know I'm a coward) that said "I am having a bad day, I'll call ya tomorrow." He then sent me one saying something about he thought that I didn't like him, but that he liked me. Which is exactly the truth. So I have already received 2 text messages from him this morning and I have to call him on my lunch to let him know all this. Wish me luck! I'm gonna need it.

3 Comments:

At 4:59 AM, Blogger ThreeCharlie said...

Christ! That sucks.

 
At 8:17 AM, Blogger Manolos R My Life said...

Tell me about it. I don't know how I get myself into these situations.

 
At 8:39 AM, Blogger ThreeCharlie said...

Do you have any updates on this guy?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home