Tuesday, August 30, 2005

It Never Ceases to Amaze Me

I wasn't what you would consider "popular" in high school. I was one of those individuals where all of the people more popular than me and all those less popular than me knew who I was. I was very smart (graduated 8th in my class thank you very much), played in the band, ran track, and played varsity soccer. I was never really considered a dork, "jock," or a band geek. I was just your normal, everyday student just trying to get by. I did my best not to stand out in school. I wore jeans and a t-shirt everyday, had my mouse-brown color hair pulled up in a pony tail everyday, and was flat a a board until the 11th grade. Despite my best efforts to stay hidden for 4 years of my life, I semmed to make a lot of enemies, mostly the really athletic girls who played volleyball or basketball. They were always the really popular girls who had the flawless skin, shiny blonde hair, and the perfectly perportioned bodies. There was one girl in particular, whom I'll call NS, who absolutely hated me. Granted, I was no where near as pretty, popular, or athletic as NS was, but I did or said something along the way to incur her wrath. She even went as far as to bad mouth me to my younger sister. Well, needless to say, I was terified of her for the rest of my time in school. A year or so after we graduated, I heard that NS was working as a waitress at Friendly's and was big into drugs. I saw her there once. Her once beautiful, shiny, blonde hair had lost it's lustre, and her skin had become less than flawless. The only other time I have seen her was at a bar out in Springfield Township. I was standing at the bar, waiting to pay for my dollar beers, when I heard someone say hi to me. I turned around, and saw NS sitting at the bar next to me. I said hi back, paid for my beers, and went back to the booth I was sharing with my friend. I couldn't beleive that the girl who hated my guts in high school had just noticed me and acknowledeged by presence. It was at that moment, that I realized that high school was meant to be experienced and then forgotten about, that what happens when your 16 doesn't affect you when you're 21, and that I no longer cared about what "everyone" thought about me. I had grown up since high school, both physically and emotionally, and I have a great life with great friends and a great family.

2 Comments:

At 2:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always find it amusing when I go back home and see people that were once popular or people that use to pick on me. Probably 100% of them are in dead end jobs and have never left town. Rather than gloat, I just smile and laugh to myself. High school is so overrated.

 
At 10:42 PM, Blogger Tasha said...

Anon is right. I always run into people from high school who used to be the popular ones. Most of them have children (and aren't married), have dead end jobs, or aren't even working at all!

They also got ugly over the years. Granted I am only 22, but it's sad when you're 22 and look like you're 42 (a BAD 42).

I just laugh at them because I am obviously doing something with my life and they're not. Like Anon pointed out, high school is so overrated!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home